Sunday, January 06, 2008

The President of 9/11

In another case of life mimicking parody, The Onion has is re-advertizing this year-old article Giuliani To Run For President Of 9/11.

"My fellow citizens of 9/11, today I will make you a promise," said Giuliani during his 18-minute announcement speech in front of a charred and torn American flag. "As president of 9/11, I will usher in a bold new 9/11 for all."

----------snip----------------

"Let us all remember how we felt on that day, with the world watching our every move, waiting on our every word," said Giuliani, flanked by several firefighters, ex-New York Police Commissioner Bernard Kerik, and Judith Nathan, his third wife. "With a campaign built on traditional 9/11 values, and with the help of every citizen who believes in the 9/11 dream, I want to make 9/11 great again."

------------snip---------------

After his downtown Manhattan announcement, Giuliani held an afternoon rally near the Pentagon. In the early evening, he flew to a field outside Shanksville, Pennsylvania, where he hosted a $5,000-a-plate fundraising dinner in a tent decorated with clouds of ash, streaming sheets of singed office paper, and small piles of authentic rubble from the World Trade Center site.


I guess as his campaign founders, he is pushing reality closer to the prescient parody, as can be seen here.

Finally I shall leave you with a television commercial I found thanks to my friend Troy from Comedy Jesus. Since I don't watch television, I have no idea whether this is a genuine advertisement or just more parody. I have to assume it's real because Troy wouldn't make fun of people like that (Check his website. He's Jesus! And after all, what would Jesus do?) ;-)

No comments: